The following is a list of my highlighted projects over the past two and a half decades. During the first 15 years of my career, I worked with system implementation consulting firms. For the last eight years, I worked on the vendor side of the tech industry. Accolades include KD Nuggets Data Science Thought Leader, former Tableau Zen Master, and Top 10 Women in Data. To help the next generation of analytics talent, I do actively support women in tech, INFORMS, Tableau, and PASS community events.
Amazon Web Services AWS cloud analytics technical training content, demonstration development, and live training events covering Amazon QuickSight, S3, RDS databases, Athena, Redshift, Kinesis streaming, and machine learning offerings.
Engaged by product team on multiple small projects to test beta versions of software releases, Hyper engine, and also create demos integrating predictive analytics solutions. Honored to be awarded a Tableau Zen Master for my work and contributions to the Tableau Community.
- Cloudera Hadoop big data visual analytics solution and presentation
- Predictive analytics integration combining Tableau with R, SAS, SAP Hana UDF, and Alteryx
- Thought leadership white paper, messaging, and pricing change feedback
- Tableau scalability testing using Amazon Web Services cloud infrastructure
DataRobot Automated Machine Learning
Initially engaged in August 2017. After contract projects delivered exponential opportunity growth, joined full-time to lead the top performing citizen data science market segment. Developed citizen data science go-to-market strategy, messaging, customer journey map, sales presentations, thought leadership white papers, and product demonstrations for partner integrations. Grew citizen data science segment opportunity pipeline by 2X in 2017-2018 and 4X in 2018-2019. Segment campaigns, segment events and personally developed content brought in the most opportunity to sales conversions. Focused on artificial intelligence (AI) visualization, translation, and explanation techniques.
- Developed the Art of AI Storytelling book, demos, and presentations for machine learning projects to help visually translate results in a meaningful way to bridge the language gap between data scientists and the business
- Provided product design ideas, UX concepts, market intelligence, and POC support.
- Crafted presentations, webinars, articles, how to tutorials, and product demonstrations with Microsoft Azure, SQL Server, Power BI, Excel, Tableau, Qlik, UiPath and more using Python, R, and DataRobot’s REST API
- Hands-on development of sandbox segment marketing reports using Salesforce, SQL and Chartio.
- Supported analytics leader conversations to properly govern, mentor and upskill BI and analytics talent for machine learning projects
- Wrote Data Prep for Automated Machine Learning and Moving from BI to AI white papers
Principal Program Manager, Business Intelligence responsible for global technical product marketing for Microsoft’s SQL Server, Excel and Power BI solutions. Provided Power BI vNext design feedback and go-to-market strategy initially as an external consultant for CVP. Performed analyst/media relations, technical content planning, sales enablement, competitor analysis, demonstration development and worked closely with engineering to prioritize product roadmaps. Also supported worldwide sales escalations and led executive briefings.
- Led the technical responses Forrester Waves and Gartner BI Magic Quadrant reports that resulted in highest vision and ability to execute
- Developed product demonstrations using Power BI, SQL Server, Reporting Services SSRS, Azure Data Warehouse, Streaming Analytics, Event Hub, Machine Learning, Cognitive Services, and other Azure Cloud offerings
- Partner channel onboarding and sales enablement for top data & analytics ecosystem global system integrators
- Planned and launched new Power BI Community Site, presented webinars, developed monthly partner newsletter, wrote thought leadership blogs, and created presentations while also supporting social media and forum inquiries
- Awarded top #1 performance review stack ranking surpassing expectations, innovation excellence for mobile BI demos using custom HTML5, district technical MVP, and top compete insight winner
Government Software Vendor
Selected and scoped machine learning use cases. Collected available data from application sources. Performed data profiling for reviewing data quality, ran exploratory data analysis, led data preparation for supervised machine learning models, created and evaluated predictive models for classification of no shows and travel expense report fraud use cases. Deployed predictive model scoring within ETL data pipeline to the data warehouse for use in reports. Also deployed embedded predictive models into an ASP.NET web application using SQL Server and DMX functions for near real-time predictions at the time of an appointment to improve agency business process efficiency.
Global Hadoop Vendor
Provided CEO and CMO advisory, system development testing, and UX design guidance for product team.
TIBCO Advanced Analytics Vendor
Engaged by the product team to conduct market intelligence reports, data science maturity survey, product demonstration development, webinars, and syndicated articles.
Hired to develop multiple predictive analytics and data science demonstrations using IBM Watson Studio, PySpark, Jupyter Notebooks, and SPSS, articles, events, and host webinars.
Advanced Analytics Vendor
Engaged by the CEO to provide market intelligence, go-to-market strategy, and product team advisory services for optimization and machine learning desktop, cloud and API offerings.
Simplement Microsoft/SAP Vendor
Hired by the CEO of an SAP integration vendor for ongoing advisory services on business intelligence product design, customer call support, partnership program activities, sales enablement presentations, product demonstration development in the Microsoft ecosystem, Demonstrations created using SQL Server replicated SAP data, SharePoint, Power BI, Excel PowerPivot, and Reporting Services SSRS reports.
Cloud SaaS Retail Vendor
Engaged by the CEO to perform market research and develop a go-to-market strategy along with recommended competitive positioning and marketing plans for a Cloud SaaS firm in the retail reporting space.
Smart Data Discovery Vendor
Engaged by CEO to work with product team on improving product design, UX and customer journey. Also performed market intelligence, product testing, product demonstration development, data prep for machine learning white paper and thought leadership articles.
GPU Database Vendor
Engaged by product team to create multiple database demonstrations using predictive analytics with Java Jar UDF functions and Tableau dashboards. Also wrote thought leadership articles and hosted a webinar.
Data Prep Software Vendor
Product team advisory services, product testing, data prep market research, multiple webinars, white papers, articles, and a go-to-market strategy. Ongoing advisory provided to CEO.
Global Database Vendor
Lead design for a multi-terabyte retail POS EDI 852 Product Activity Data Demand Signal Repository reporting system, JAD sessions, business requirements, roadmap, data warehouse design, OLTP and ROLAP data modeling using ERwin with Inmon data warehouse methodology, estimation, ETL and reporting solution architecture leveraging Teradata’s R6.1 database, Master Data Management MDM, Meta Data Services MDS, load utilities (TPump, MultiLoad, FastLoad) and Query Scheduler with Microsoft Analysis Services SSAS, Reporting Services SSRS and Integration Services SSIS.
Enterprise / Corporate
Enterprise business intelligence strategy, organizational level roadmap, business intelligence vendor selection, process re-engineering, data warehouse migration, master data management strategy, metadata strategy, logical and physical data modeling, data mapping using Erwin, Business Objects XI R2, Reporting Services SSRS. Key accomplishments included establishing a common model with 9 subject areas of master data entity definitions, business rules and metadata across 16 international business units using data from over 14 enterprise and custom applications including PeopleSoft, Deltek CostPoint ERP, and a CRM. Additional projects followed supporting the build of the data warehouse.
Selection of machine learning use cases for helping marketing identify common characteristics of high value accounts. Collected available data from application sources. Performed data profiling for reviewing data quality, ran exploratory data analysis, led data preparation for supervised classification and unsupervised clustering machine learning models, analyzed predictive model key influencers, created and evaluated predictive models for classification. Presented results to back to the business. Deployed predictive model scoring within ETL data pipeline to the data warehouse for use in Reporting Services reports.
Wall Street Investment Company
Global investment trading firm reporting system across stock exchanges for analyzing settlement ratios, trade volumes, fills, service requests and other stock trade system performance metrics. Mission-critical, high volume performance tracking systems required 64-bit clustered, heavy load, near real-time Analysis Services SSAS capabilities. OLAP cubes designed for maximum performance, customized cube dimension attribute level security through .NET stored procedures, multiple partitions with incremental processing. Tasks include data mart design, cube development, MDX scripting, Integration Services SSIS ETL and Reporting Services SSRS reports.
Bluelinx Wholesale Distribution
Multiple database upgrade, development, master data management, and data governance projects for distributed logistics and dashboard reporting applications.
- MDM data governance business processes and data mapping for a consolidated PIM product information management catalog
- Integrate source application data with IBM AS400 legacy systems into a global data warehouse
- Data modeling, database development, replication, stored procedure development, ETL packages, Analysis Services SSAS performance tuning, optimization, and reporting
- Enterprise-wide SQL Server database replication and upgrades of relational databases, Integration Services SSIS ETL packages, and Reporting Services SSRS reporting systems
- Physical to VMWare virtual machine migration for database systems
- Database design for logistics and pricing applications
- Predictive model development for inventory/stock out use case in regional warehouses
- Routing optimization application development for item delivery systems
Developed an enterprise business intelligence strategy that aligned information needs with strategic business objectives. Started with collecting key business metrics for measuring executive performance. From there each measurable aspect was broken out into Key Performance Indicators. At this point dashboards and automated reporting with alerts and self-service models were developed with drill-downs to tactical reports using a “Day in Life” business process approach to personalize dashboards to get a quick pulse on the aspects of the business they are measured upon to easily take correction actions and manage proactively versus reactively.
Multiple Microsoft SharePoint business intelligence projects with SQL Server, Analysis Services SSAS, Reporting Services SSRS, Oracle, Deltek, and Primavera. Architected and developed a SQL Server 2008 R2/PowerPivot/SharePoint 2010 performance management and reporting portal that was showcased as a case study in the Microsoft’s 2010 Launch.
Automobile Auction Company
This project involved business process analysis and re-engineering AS-IS and TO-BE, data analysis, service-oriented architecture design, technical architecture, functional and technical requirements, JAD sessions for consolidating inspection applications and standardizing processes for U.S. auction and inspection operations. Project tasks included database design and development, report creation and data analysis for an automotive auction company combining data extracts from an embedded HQSL database with client contract information. Additional projects followed including the application development work for the newly designed business processes.
Hired by CFO to work on multiple SQL Server database development and Tableau Server dashboard projects combining student enrollment systems with finance and marketing applications.
This project involved business process analysis and re-engineering AS-IS and TO-BE, value stream engineering, data analysis, functional and technical requirements, cost-benefit evaluation and business case for automating manual inspection processes in a mobile device warehouse facility. Additional projects followed including the application development work for the newly designed business processes.
Performed demand forecasting business process analysis and re-engineering AS-IS and TO-BE, JAD sessions, technical architecture, functional and technical requirements for an application leveraging ASP.NET 2.0, Business Objects and Oracle 10g technologies used to improve client’s legal services, regulatory compliance, and business operations. Additional projects followed including the application development work for the newly designed business processes.
Led resort business intelligence strategy to save the organization from ad-hoc Excel reporting chaos, expedite insights with automation and aligned executive information needs. Using a combined client-consultant project team to gain adoption, reduce costs, and maximize the identification of “quick wins” across group processes. Organized unit workshops for requirements gathering, reporting, and data source reviews. Designed future system architecture, put together a prioritized roadmap of individual projects and dependencies for development teams, and designed consolidated dimensional data warehouse with the related organization-wide reports.
Led functional specification for e-commerce projects encompassing 14 web sites, vendor, B2B and employee portals utilizing ASP.NET 2.0 and SQL Server 2005 with gift card payment and fulfillment systems. Additional projects followed including the application development work for the newly designed business processes.
Multiple projects transitioning paper systems to digital for a construction company. Responsible for developing digital corporate marketing systems.
- Perform statistical analysis using SPSS for marketing analytics
- Design and development of an automated proposal system, marketing/sales contact database, market research database and construction project databases using FileMakerPro
- Created multimedia marketing presentations, print, and digital literature
Programming and technical sales support for an agency. Determine technical requirements, respond to Requests For Qualifications, design marketing research/data analysis database and program presentations.
- Develop multimedia projects and optimize graphics using Flash, Illustrator, Photoshop, and Fireworks.
- Development of several computer-based training (CBT) applications utilizing Asymetrix Toolbook II, Dreamweaver and Flash.
Provided analytics and SQL Server database development services.
- Data preparation, predictive model development, and deployment in an ASP.NET web app for detecting check cashing fraud using SQL Server DMX.
- SQL Server upgrade and disaster recovery design.
Retail Department Store Chain
Mission-critical hybrid cloud and on-premises customer intelligence system data platform and operational management center design for one of the largest American department store companies with over one thousand physical store locations. The company grew through several acquisitions complicating data infrastructure management and integrations. This project entailed unifying a single comprehensive view of a customer across different business units, sales channels, and technologies. Tasks included vendor reviews, technical architecture assessment of integration points, system center monitoring points, updating processes for data consolidation and customer master data collection management.
Top Global Retailer
Multiple projects for an advertising agency. Developed collected functional requirements, estimated level of effort for builds, designed technical architecture, and mockups of user interfaces. Programmed subsite event locators using ASP and SQL Server; WAL-MART web sampling distribution development for Clorox, Kellogg, Kraft, Mr. Clean and Oil of Olay using SQL Server DTS and ASP. Designed reporting dashboards for supply chain product categories and locations.
Sole application developer and DBA for a retail clothing company. Responsible for SQL Server and Oracle database administration, data warehouse development, reporting systems, and applications.
- Development of a web-based retail analysis reporting system. Advanced data analysis using correlation, regression models with SPSS; K-nearest neighbor analysis, and decision trees
- IT Lead for PeopleSoft ERP/Supply Chain System EBCDIC to ASCII data conversion of binary COBOL ISAM files from a legacy application utilizing Java, DTS and DOS batch scripts, application interface programming and report development
- Development, implementation, and maintenance of a new web-based retail analysis reporting system containing over 50 reports utilizing Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services SSRS, Oracle and SQL Server Analysis Services SSAS OLAP and OLTP data warehouses
- Oracle AIX administration, RMAN backup and recovery, SQL*Loader, tuning, query optimization, and performance monitoring
- Data analysis using correlation and regression models with SPSS, mapping and geocoding with MapPoint
- Development of a web-based rack analysis application featuring drag-and-drop store rack planning and reporting with interfaces to the point-of-sale system
- Design and development of a corporate intranet using Cold Fusion MX featuring content management, document management, calendars, news, library, project management, warehouse order, and inventory management applications
- IP SAN implementation, conversion, and consolidation of corporate sales databases and client/server applications involving database sizing estimations, migrating SQL Server 7.0 databases, installing and configuring SQL Server 2000 databases for optimum performance in a 24/7 high volume OLTP environment
- Ecommerce application programming for inventory and gift card functionality using Java, XML, web services and the Orbital Payment Gateway API
Responsible for strategy, roadmap, architecture, development, and ongoing support for healthcare SaaS cloud BI and reporting systems in a 24×7 environment. Responsible for SQL Server data warehouse, Integration Services SSIS ETL, daily processing jobs, Analysis Services SSAS, Reporting Services SSRS servers and embedded predictive models.
- Initially tasked to stabilize a non-functional SQL Server 2005 business intelligence platform. This exercise included failure monitoring, hardware sizing, data archiving, SQL Server database tuning, Integration Services SSIS ETL error handling improvements, Analysis Services SSAS OLAP cubes dimensional design optimization, aggregation design, partitioning, processing, cache warming enhancements, and Reporting Services SSRS MDX query rewrites referencing Best Practices Analyzer, BIDS Helper, Profiler, MDX Studio, Analysis Services Performance Guides and personal experience. This project resulted in bringing and keeping the failed system back online, eliminating I/O bottlenecks and related errors, decreasing ETL job times, reducing cube processing windows from 7 hours to 2 hours and improving MDX queries from minutes to less than one second by rewriting nested filters in aggregate functions
- Planned, tested and upgraded the business intelligence platform from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2008 R2. Upgraded servers included the SQL Server data warehouse, replication servers, multiple Integration Services SSIS instances with ETL packages containing extensive use of Visual Basic modules embedded in Script Tasks for Salesforce API calls and multiple Reporting Services SSRS instances
Health Insurance Company
The health insurance statements of work, functional specifications, prototypes and development for ASP.NET 2.0 and SQL Server 2005 applications used to improve client’s legal services, regulatory compliance, and business operations. Designed and developed a SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services SSRS web application leveraging ASP.NET 2.0 and Report Viewer Controls. Tasks included designing data structures, recurring data import routines, developing stored procedures and reports. Additional projects followed including the application development work for the newly designed business processes.
Led the development of a regional hospital network scorecard reporting system. Project goals were to reduce manual maintenance costs and add mobile reporting capabilities for executives. New reporting system was created using SQL Server business intelligence in SharePoint. Responsible for collecting reporting requirements, designing system architecture, estimating project scope, building a POC, prototyping dashboards, installing and configuring SQL Server and SharePoint server software, designing and implementing additions to the data warehouse, building an ETL data pipeline from application sources to data warehouse, programming reports and dashboards, writing help documentation, and training users.
Physical Rehabilitation Center Network
Development of a patient medical billing integration application written in Access and VBA. The application extracts medical billing data from a Noble Direct/Betrieve 7.0 database and performs custom functions for archiving, tracking and reporting patient order status. Responsible for designing system architecture, programming modules, documentation, and testing.
Cancer Center / Hospital Network
Data warehouse and reporting system development using Oracle, SQL Server, Integration Services SSIS, and Reporting Services SSRS. Gather functional requirements, create logical and physical data models, program SQL queries and stored procedures, and design reports in a HIPPA compliant environment.
US Department of Defense
Tableau dashboard design and development with integrated predictive analytics for identifying emerging research topics.
Department of Housing and Urban Development
This project involved the development of a HUD forms processing application using XML, Access, SQL Server, VBA, Visual Basic client-server application for electronically processing local HUD application forms to the national system. Tasks involved mapping, conversion and transferring numerous proprietary application data fields to the destination formats for electronic batch processing.
U.S. Navy Northeast Region
Performed information systems administration and support for U.S. Navy organizations in the Northeast Region, an 800+ node network, 24/7 high volume environment. Primary tasks for this Department of Defense contract included web development, Oracle and SQL Server database administration.
- Installation and maintenance of Oracle 8i and SQL Server 2000 databases, set up permissions, roles, maintenance plans, created tables, indexes, queries, backup and recovery plans, consistency and DBCC integrity checks of the databases, performance tuning using Profiler traces and reviewing query execution plans, set up DoD security certificates and firewall rules
- Installation and maintenance of several Oracle client-server applications for several Navy units
- Development and maintenance of a Housing utilization reporting application development using VBA, SQL, and Access
- Conversion of Access desktop applications to client-server applications utilizing SQL Server
- Support legacy, Access, and client-server applications.
- Provide SQL Server, Exchange and Windows network administration support for 600+ user community.
- Developed an application in Visual Basic that inventories installed applications on an end-user machine and creates a text file for database import as part of a network inventory effort.
Naval Undersea Warfare Center Earned Value Financial Reporting System
Project management and development integrating an Oracle client/server financial application using Oracle 7.32, Windows Internet Information Server IIS 4.0, ASP, Visual Basic and SQL for the project.
- Research alternatives in advising the client to the system design considerations
- Lead the requirements definition process, write use cases, design system architecture, develop database additions, code and test the applications
- Design and develop new tables, queries and procedures on an existing Oracle database documented the database schema and performed entity-relationship diagramming using PowerDesigner
- Create Excel and Microsoft Project VBA class modules to extract financial data from the Oracle database in a query-by-form scenario to populate earned value reports and generate charts
Defense Finance Accounting Service
- Documented the Software Requirements Specification and the UML diagrams in 2002 Rational Requisite Pro and Rational Rose
- Code Visual Basic COM and DCOM application class modules to utilize MTS features for transactions and multi-threading, rewrite code modules to use stored procedures versus inline SQL queries
- Research and load test the application using different registry settings for ProcessorThreadMax and multiple IIS settings changes under a variety of conditions simulating user loads and activities
- Streamline the interaction of PERL (encryption/decryption) with NAFI’s Internet Information Server to use PerIS.dll versus the out of process .exe version to improve performance
- Change application connections to use connection pooling
- SQL Server database index, query, and stored procedure optimization, performance tuning using Profiler traces and reviewing query execution plans, researched replication options for hot failover capability, implemented merge replication and coded replication related application modifications in the Visual Basic COM objects and stored procedures
- Department of Defense DITSCAP Security Evaluation and ADA Section 508 Compliance
- Network, web site and database security penetration, vulnerability analysis, testing and documentation